IdontWantDowry.com- a marriage portal that is also a social crusader

by Amit Ranjan on September 5, 2006

dowry.jpgIdontWantDowry is a matrimonial portal that has been launched by a Hyderabad based web services company called NKG. As the name suggests, this is a meeting ground for those Indians, who regard dowry as a social evil and want to meet like-minded life partners. I was not aware of this site myself and discovered it after receiving a tip off from one of Webyantra’s readers.

Idontwantdowry.com
is like any other matrimonial portal but it is trying to carve out a niche by positioning itself as a social crusader. The site was launched in April and seems to be have app 3000 members currently, which is good for a start. The site’s basic look & feel as well as its navigation is quite well designed. d1.jpgAdditionally, it will feature classified ads from non computer savvy users, who believe in the anti-dowry cause and want prospective brides/grooms to contact them through offline means. The intent behind the website is worth commendable; however I was a little surprised by the ability for users to search for partners on the basis of caste (there is a very long list of castes on the site). Wish they had refrained from this (seemingly) retrograde step; it would have made their case even stronger.

Something that really struck me about the site was its very smart positioning. For the online matrimonial space in India has a bunch of very effective and well managed websites (Shaadi, JeevanSathi, BharatMatrimony et al) and getting noticed amongst that bunch for a small, low budget website would not be easy. However by identifying a unique niche (specially one that has a social hook as well), Idontwantdowry.com has managed to do exactly that. It has received fairly good coverage in the media (press, television, internet). It’s also worth noting that this is NOT a non-profit site; but their positioning has given a very humane touch to their commercial motives.

I think, there’s a key learning here for all those people, who dream of creating a web product or service in a space that already has well established players e.g. job sites, travel portals etc. Instead of trying to be the nth player in a saturated market, it makes sense to identify a niche and be the first one to cater to it. And as IdontWantDowry has shown, if you think hard, you’ll surely find many such niches’ waiting to be discovered.

Amit September 7, 2006 at 11:56 am

Hi Amit,

The kind of reviews you provide for the new indian web startups is really good. I just wann gave you a very small suggestion that the snapshots of the websites you are reviewing should be made as hyperlinks and point to the original site so that we do not have to look for the link specifically. This would increase user convenience.

Thanks
Amit

amit September 7, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Amit,

Thanks for the suggesstion; I agree, that would certainly help users. I will make sure to do that from now on.

amit

Sreekandakumar Pillai September 7, 2006 at 4:13 pm

Glad to read the inovative idea of IdontWantDowry.com. By the way, I don’t think anybody will sign up if caste based search is not provided. In our country people preach against caste system, but follow it for marriage and reservation.

Your blog design is very nice and neat. Kudos to the design team! I don’t see any ads yet, will this continue to be an ad-free blog? :-)

amit September 7, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Sree,

I guess you’re correct about the caste issue. Maybe I was reading too much into what is an unshakable reality in India.

amit

Rahul September 25, 2006 at 3:34 pm

A simple No Dowry check box on any of the sites 9shaadi.com/jeevansaathi.com/indianmatrimonials.com) with cirtical mass will blow them out of the water. I bet they will not last more than a year. Not a viable business model.

wallpaper October 12, 2006 at 1:50 am

sorrel+planar%2Cadjourns

v.ramesh October 18, 2006 at 3:30 am

lavanya October 31, 2006 at 2:36 pm

its really a great revolution on the evil of dowry.hats off correct decition in correct time

Marupaka Thirupathi November 9, 2006 at 10:54 am

hi
my name is tirupati
iam stay in hyd

this orgnaization is very very goog
iloved selfconfedent persons

thi is war of dowry and human values
iam also soldier in the war
i fight dowry taken persons
thanks form
this orgnaization

thirupathi marupaka
plot no 37
road no 2
banjara hills
+91 98663 36942

Vijay Kanth V December 15, 2006 at 2:02 am

Dowry is like a devil
dont give any chance to come this devil near to 2 us (society).

udayakumar December 18, 2006 at 7:25 am

Hi,

Iam udaya kumar Iam doing Real Estate Business/30years/Guntur.

I am contulating this site providers becuase this isvery good opportunity for the poor and open minded people.

Once again Thanq for Giving a chance to express my thoughts.

UDAYA KUMAR S.

udayakumar December 18, 2006 at 7:27 am

Hai, I am UDAYA KUMAR, My mail Id is kumar_2002sraj@yahoo.co.in

Hanuma Reddy January 30, 2007 at 1:21 pm

It’s really nice thought. Thanks for people who did this job. All the best guys!

Cheers,
Hanuma

jeevanjodi(team) February 1, 2007 at 6:37 am

http://www.jeevanjodi.com The worldwide matrimonial site to search for profiles in Indian matrimonials & wedding services. This site also covers Kerala Matrimony, Punjabi, Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Muslim Matrimony, Bengali Matrimony services.you can find ur perfect match through our site.
best wishes
jeevanjodi(team)

jeevanjodi(team) February 1, 2007 at 6:40 am

http://www.jeevanjodi.com search for profiles in Indian matrimonials & wedding services. This site also covers Kerala Matrimony, Punjabi, Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Muslim Matrimony, Bengali Matrimony services.you can find ur perfect match through our site.
best wishes
jeevanjodi(team)

rameshbabu March 4, 2007 at 3:52 pm

i have compleeted mba i am ready to marry to any suitable lady

ronald March 9, 2007 at 12:16 pm

help please cud u jus gimme the source code of the project…

i will be greateful to u…..

lakshmi April 3, 2007 at 11:09 am

i don’t want dowry .

sunil July 8, 2007 at 1:55 pm

idonwantdowry.com is down most of the times!!??

RajeswarReddy September 14, 2007 at 3:44 pm

HI All
Really interesting to note this…
I have my own five cents to add..They are conducting Swayamvarams and showing the grooms in real…
Cool idea….

v.GANGADHARA RAO September 27, 2007 at 9:11 am

hai this is GANGADHARA RAO.MY CELLNO- 9848629099
AND MY E-ID:vakapalli_gr@sify.com

vijay September 28, 2007 at 3:42 pm

hai to all hey this is vijay kadiyala according to me dowry is the worst thing in the indian constitution because of it many married gals lives are being spoiled because of this system so i think one of the G.O must and should to avoide the dowry system and i also didnt like to take dowry

rambabu October 4, 2007 at 8:52 am

good idea

Y.S.Sherif October 14, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Dowry system is only exits in india, bangladesh and Pakistan. It is no more exist in gulf countries and europe.

UDAYKUMAR KOLLIMATH March 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm

IT IS NICE TO KNOW THAT PLENTY OF PEOPLE ARE OPNELY TALKING AGAINST AN EVIL SYSTEM OF DOWRY. IT MAY SO HAPPEN IN FUTURE THAT THE NUMBER FEMALES AVAILABLE WILL BE SO LESS IT TURN OUT TO BE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF DOWRY WHERE MEN PAY FOR GIRL TO GET MARRIED. IS THAT TOO FAR …… AND NOT REALLY IT IS SO NEAR

siddareddy May 8, 2008 at 6:49 am

It’s really nice thought. Thanks for people who did this job. All the best for All.

Cheers,
siddareddy
9440874281.

swathi May 12, 2008 at 5:44 am

dowry eqval to devil nowadays every persen ask dowry.

RaviJogula June 18, 2008 at 2:43 am

Dear Rahul,
I have seen your comments. Idontwantdowry.com is a cool idea and hundreds of this kind of ideas/websites are needed for India to cure the social evils.
I am really surprised to see your BET. I think your bet is 2years old. Still these people are surviving in the dotcoms.
Let us invite such good ideas instead of criticizing them
Cheers
Ravi

Devi June 19, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Hi this is devi from hyderabad.its very good and i respect those guys who don’t take dowry.
devi99999@yahoo.com

S.RAGHUNATH RAO December 14, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I DON’T WANT DOWRY SITE IS A TOP CLASS PEOPLE’S WEB
IT IS A GREAT RELIEF TO THE PARENTS HAVING ALL DAUGHTERS SPECIALLY IN THESE COSTLY DAYS

prasad December 16, 2008 at 7:17 am

i don’t like dowry

veera babu December 16, 2008 at 10:58 am

i dont like dowry

sai December 16, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I DONT WANT DOWRY IN THESE DAYS ALL ARE ASKING FOR DOWRY

dushyanth December 16, 2008 at 2:01 pm

this is very good thing that people had changed..as iam looking from childhood..emii chesukuntaru andii inkokarii money mogavadu anakha thana kala medha thanu nilabadali.tharavta pelli chesukovali thana wifeni happyga chusukovali..papam ammaie thalli thandralu entho kasta padi chadivistaru inka malli dowry kuda evala i hate that dowry..n iam working in call zone technologies..iam looking for a nice girl she must be beutyfull anthe?inka emi voddu..na no 9395581101 ok ika nayina dowry thisukovadam maniveyandii plzz…this is my humble request for all of u..

dushyanth December 16, 2008 at 2:04 pm

u can search my profile n photo in this dushyanth deekonda kothagudem in orkut search bye

sivani December 17, 2008 at 4:57 am

hai this is sivani the idia is good.i feit happy to see so many members in this and i hope this mesage will reach more

raghu December 20, 2008 at 8:32 am

This is really a progressive step to start a website like this to avoid dowry evil. I come to know about this some days back. How shall i register my profile in this?

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }